on Twitter @TedSillanpaa

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is drawing all kinds of praise for restructuring his contract to enable the team to sign or retain free agents. Some are calling it an amazingly team-oriented move by Brady who, in return, gets some financial security via a guaranteed contract in the NFL where nothing is ever guaranteed.

You and I would be perceived as lot more financially selfless and generally noble if we were married to a Brazilian supermodel who makes four times more per year than we do. Honest.

I love Tom Brady. He’s my favorite player in the NFL. He and Gisele Bundchen make $75 million a year combined.

$75 million a year.

Let’s not give Brady some NFL Team Player of the Century honor for reworking his contract. Like most premier athletes, he lives in a world we can’t beging to understand.

Soooo … let’s not rush to suggest Raiders’ quarterback Carson Palmer do what Brady did and rework his contract and take a pay cut. First, the Raiders wouldn’t give him a guaranteed deal at the back end … and that’s what Brady got. Second, Palmer’s wife doesn’t make millions and millions and millions of dollars a year.

Comments

1. jimmy

99% of athletes would not do what Brady did. Everyone’s a team player until it comes time to get paid. If/when Brady gets that 4th ring, he’ll be the greatest to ever play. In this salary cap era, yes, even greater than Montana.

February 27th, 2013 2:33 pm

Jimmy…Thanks for reading. You totally made up a stat there. You want to offer a lick of support for the idea 99% of athletes wouldn’t give up salary to get contract security and help the salary cap issue? … What percentage of athletes who have a family income of $75 million would forfeit some money to help their team?
    TED

February 27th, 2013 4:50 pm

3. jimmy

Look at how long Drew Brees haggled with the Saints last offseason so he could get his hundred mil. Peyton signed for a cool 96 mil with Denver. And let’s see how much Flacco thinks of the team when he goes to get paid this offseason. Just saying, Brady is an anomaly.

February 27th, 2013 5:32 pm

Jimmy…I agree that not every QB would do what Brady did, just mentioning it’s a lot easier when you and your wife net $75 million per annum AFTER the new contract is in place. OK…I’m jealous! TED

February 27th, 2013 5:37 pm

5. The Bat

Not to mention the fact that while his contract is guaranteed, his body isn’t. Brady may be “better than Montana” in the mind of some people, but Montana never got the deal Brady just got. He actually got rode out of town when his performance started to drop off because of injuries he’d sustained throughout his career. There’s no backup quarterback a la Steve Young waiting in the wings in Foxboro, that I know of, but I haven’t been following the Patriots that closely, and the draft has yet to take place. I think what Ted is saying is that this deal shouldn’t draw all this effusive praise to Brady for “taking one for the team.” He’s sitting pretty no matter what, AND he just got a vote of confidence that he should finish his career as a Patriot. Montana never got such a guarantee. And all he asked for was a shot to win the job in training camp, which he never got. What happens when Brady approaches the status Joe was in when all this went down – the proverbial “one hit away” retirement? The fans may love him now, and gush about his “selflessness” (yeah, right) but when, and I do mean when his performance falters, they’ll be screaming for a restructuring.

February 28th, 2013 9:24 am

Bat…Good points, as usual. Thanks. TED

February 28th, 2013 12:53 pm

7. Tess

When the fawning stops take a look at the larger picture. Visit Indiapolis, visit the pediatric hospital. Then take note of it’s name. then ask local’s whose financial contributions and fund raising efforts made that entity a reality. Magnificent people who truley help others do so in an unassuming manner.

February 28th, 2013 4:00 pm

8. Tess

Tom Brady is emblematic of the Patriots. He won when the team spied, since caught the team has had success but never again claimed the big prize. And each time he has faced a strong defense, with a strong interior rush, he has spit the bit. Ravens, giants, Jets have all reduced him to a mistake making flummoxed fool in the past four years

February 28th, 2013 6:17 pm

Tess…Woe! What does any of that have to do with him taking a salary hit, to get security at the end of his deal and help the team?

Even when it’s not aimed at me, I cringe when I read or hear the sports radio talk show snark. No reason to sound ridiculous. You’ve got a legit opinion. Express it. But, calling Tom Brady a “mistake making flummoxed fool” is unnecessary and, you know, is untrue. TED

February 28th, 2013 9:49 pm

Tess…Oh! A Colts fan…a Peyton Manning fan? Right?

I don’t think I fawned over Brady, did I? Phew!

Ted

February 28th, 2013 9:54 pm

11. Elliott

Sorry Overtime but I found Brady really wanting against the ravens. To me it appeared he was Afraid to get hit. Evidenced by his high kick to protect himself.
    As to his contract I do not trust it. Suspect a wink between he and the Kraft family. Can’t prove it but my gut suspects it.

February 28th, 2013 11:30 pm

Elliott…Thanks for reading. A guy’s entitled to a bad day at the office … thank goodness … so, Brady had a tough day against an eventual Super Bowl championship defense. I think it’s really easy for you and me to sit in front of the TV, safe from Terrell Suggs and Ray Lewis, and question the courage of an NFL quarterback. You can’t play that position, let alone do it at the level Brady has for years and be afraid to get hit. No way.

You could be right about the contract. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. TED

February 28th, 2013 11:56 pm

13. leo

10 yrs in foxboro taught me one thing, the patriots have a great pr machine. they can sell ice in the winter to an eskimo
    2 yrs in silicon valley taught me that people in n.cal. are mellow. too naive to detect east coast manipulations
    now home in espoo fi some things are clearer. the bad day at the office was also had one year earlier against the giants, 2 years earlier against the jets and three years earlier against baltimore. ol gal tess hit on a common thread, a fierce pass rush beats brady and my patriots. as much as it hurts me i can not avoid admitting that they have become front runners, lacking the guts to win a hard fought physical game.

March 1st, 2013 1:03 am

Leo…Thanks for the East Coast perspective.

A fierce pass rush beats every quarterback, right?

Ted

March 1st, 2013 12:14 pm

15. Leo

There are some quarterbacks who devour a fierce pass rush. The key to that art is recognizing where the weakness will be and placing your player in that spot before the snap. The truly great ones figure out what the defense is doing and how to attack it during the game. A short drop, a quick mind ( an attribute sorely under appreciated in the modern era) coupled with a quick release are key. Some quarterbacks are so adept at attacking pressure that coaches opt to drop eight into coverage rather then create defensive gaps as a result of overloads

March 1st, 2013 12:47 pm

Leo…Brady tore up a tough Texans defense early this year getting passes off in an average of 2.3 seconds. That’s how you beat a fierce pass rush. Generally,
    you put any quarterback under pressure, fierce pressure, and he’ll struggle. J.J.Watt is not threat if the ball’s downfield when he gets to the QB, though. I think Wes Welker’s stats … the Patriots tight ends catching short balls and running for yards … indicates that Brady does just fine against a pass rush and that sometimes the rush overwhelms him as it did Montana, Elway, Marino, etc. When a team drops eight into coverage against the Patriots, they typically did it confident that Pats didn’t have the running back to attack the weakened defensive front. And, while they had some better young backs this past season, the Patriots haven’t had a true stud back for the screens and draws or to just run at a 3-man front at any time in Brady’s career…Corey Dillion doesn’t count! Honest. TED

March 1st, 2013 1:29 pm

17. Leo

Brady is an outstanding quarterback. My observations come from his inability to handle tough defenses in the past several years. The Ravens beat him, the jets in 2010 destroyed him, the Giants in two Super Bowls held him well in check. My observation is that a strong interior pass rush stops Brady. You mention JJ Watt, a dominant edge rusher, but the Texans produced little in the way of an interior rush. Against the Giants he badly missed an open Welker, panicked in the Blackburn interception and had a bad throw to Branch at a critical time. No matter how fierce a rush, the greats figure out how to attack it by the third quarter. Every human being makes mistakes. What I see in Brady is a repeating of the same mistake in similar circumstance in successive situations. The quarterbacks you reference were great because they rarely made the same mistake twice. That said I refuse to blame a loss on a quarterback when his was the inferior team. But in each loss referenced to Brady, the Patriots were considered the better team going into the game

March 1st, 2013 2:15 pm

Leo…I appreciate your opinion, I just might view Brady’s performance over time differently. You’re breaking down his performance and find it wanting based on two games against the Ravens and one against the Giants. You realize, of course, that those two teams have had Super Bowl-caliber defenses. From 2010 to date … you mentioned 3 games and I’d suggest that three seasons with three games where Brady made mistakes under pressure from the pass rush is hardly reason to criticize the guy. He went how many consecutive games and throws without an interception at one point? I understand your logic and you make a case based on those three games. You don’t think he encountered a good interior pass rush against the 49ers in the game where they beat San Francisco this past season? Your logic leads me to suggest that, it seems you’re saying that Brady has played well unless he runs into a team that generates a tough inside pass rush. I can’t agree that there have been only 3 games in 2, 3 years where opponents pressured him up the middle.

We tend to forget the mistakes of those heroes who retired. A fierce inside pass rush by the New York Giants beat and knocked Montana out of two postseason games. Montana was benched in a game against the Vikings in the playoffs in favor of Steve Young … when the 49ers were big favorites. I saw Unitas, Marino, Elway make the same mistakes you’ve seen Brady make in the 3 games mentioned. Brady’s teams have won too often and he’s won with an offense usually completely lacking the threat of the run to lump him in as some overrated QB who somehow just managed to avoid teams with interior pass rush.

Enjoy the conversation! Thanks. TED

March 1st, 2013 6:45 pm

19. evie

Mr. overtime
    think maybe you are overly sensitive to leo. there is a difference between criticism and observation. all men make mistakes, as every lady can attest, and leo acknowledges that. he does not question brady’s winning record. but anyone who follows the patriots has to question the effect belechiks spying had on winning three super bowls. esprcially since the exposure of that conduct the team has failed to repeat the success.
    also placed in doubt is his growth. we in new england have witnessed a trend of comming up small in big games. games in which we were considered superior to the opponent before the game was played. brady does not have a record of beating favorites, given few have ever been considered superior going into the game. the rams were and failk swears his team was spied on practicing.
    every team has games where their ears are pinned back. every player has games where they just do not have it. as for us in every playoff loss beginning with the first giants super bowl our offense was completely stymied. held well below that seasons average. how did the ravens hold us to thirteen points one week after giving up thirty- five?
    disagree with leo if you choose, but acknowledge emperical facts which suggest brady’s greatest success’s were earned in games where his team gained an unfair advantage over the other team.

March 2nd, 2013 12:45 am

Evie….Great insight. I’m not overly sensitive, I just enjoy the discussion with reasonable folks who’ve given this stuff lots of thought. And, you … Leo … have given it great thought. I don’t even care if I’m proven right … or to prove somebody wrong. Just have a different view of what’s interesting about sports opinion and interaction with readers. Ted

March 2nd, 2013 1:04 pm

21. Leo

You do guide a civil discussion. One which respects each opinion equally. Only wish the leaders of the eu did the same

March 3rd, 2013 4:39 pm