Quick hitter…tired of the Super Bowl and tired in general. But, I’m still hearing 49ers’ fans and members of the media criticize the play-calling on the final series inside the goal line against the Ravens.

Where were the running plays? Well, was fixing to run a misdirection play around left end, with Frank Gore lead blocking, when Jim Harbaugh saw the play clock running out and called timeout. I’ve not seen or heard any gas-bag writer or talking head mention that.

What possibly could Jim Harbaugh have been thinking to call a pass to Michael Crabtree on fourth down with the game on the line? Well, Kaepernick explained Tuesday that the pass to Crabtree was the result of Kaepernick changing the play at the line of scrimmage!

Seems like somebody with a notebook or voice recorder might’ve found that out Sunday, but when it messes with the story line you want to tell, maybe you just don’t ask the quarterback what happened?

So, those of you considering spending the entire off-season questioning the play-calling should know that Kaepernick changed the play and said he’d do it again if Crabtree was 1-on-1 with a cornerback.

Comments

1. Mike

So he audibled out on the last play. What about the other three? Did he audible out of those as well? Two of the best runners in the NFL with a great O-line and you pass four times in a row. Sorry, but questioning the playcalling is appropriate.

February 6th, 2013 3:29 pm

Mike…They were running Kaepernick behind Gore on some sort of counter play on the play where the play clock was running out. Kaepernick audibled out of the fourth down play. Nobody, but nobody, mentioned either play … they just griped about play-calling. I was stunned at how slowly Gore was running on the big gainer that got the 49ers deep into Ravens’ territory. He had no pull-away speed … he broke free and almost immediately turned to start fending off would-be tacklers. Maybe Gore wasn’t 100% for some reason.

If people don’t recognize a Kaepernick run kyboshed by the play clock … and people don’t acknowledge that the QB called an audible … and people don’t mention that Gore had no burst on the big gainer, then people are griping with no understanding of how the game actually unfolded. The play-calling should questioned intelligently, that’s all.
    TED

ADDED later: It’s worth remembering too that Kaepernick rolled to the short side of the field … because he throws better rolling right. While he threw a pass, he had the option of running, too. So … while everyone’s focused on the play calls and incompletes…I’m just pointing out that Kaepernick was positioned to run or pass in that spot.

February 6th, 2013 5:19 pm

3. Sid

overtime, if you have ever watched Frank Gore play, you might know that the speed with which he made the big gainer was his full speed. That is Gore 100% buddy, but obviously you have not watched him run. Watch some highlights.

And if you know WHY Kaep called an audible on 4th down, maybe you wouldn’t have written this article. It’s bc the play called by the coaches on 4th down was horrible against a “Cover Zero.” If you have no idea what that means, you have no business criticizing. An uncovered defender was running right up at Kaep so if he didn’t let go of the ball that quickly, he would have been sacked instead of at least getting the ball off to Crabtree.

Gore is out on 1st down, so you run? Gore is in, so then you pass? You’ve been running pistol the entire 2nd half and on that drive, and you don’t do it on 4 straight plays? Let alone the fact that the pistol formation provides the QB protection and confuses the defense on whether it’s a RB run, QB run or pass.

Maybe you all should play some competitive football and learn some X’s and O’s.

February 6th, 2013 6:27 pm

4. C E Brown

Kaepernick quote- “they were in cover zero and we did not have a ay for that so I audibled to Crab”. It was the play calling which included the corner route as an audible. Nice try. It appears you are as bad as the others with Pen Pad and recorder.

February 6th, 2013 6:28 pm

CE…It appears you’re another fan type know-it-all. I don’t use a Pen Pad or a recorder. But, I do use my common sense and it tells me that the point I made was that nobody mentioned the audible, the run as the play clock ran out etc. weren’t mentioned … until now. That’s my beef. You just didn’t like the results so you questioned the play call. Ted

February 6th, 2013 6:37 pm

Sid…You miss the point. This is the discussion nobody was having until now … days after the game. Nobody thought about the audible until Kaepernick mentioned it. I’ve followed Gore’s career and he’s faster than he was moving at the end of the game, buddy. Also, pal, I would wager I know X’s and O’s at least as well as you do to be able to note that Gore’s in, Gore’s out, etc. The Ravens knew the 49ers tendencies, captain. So, they used Gore in formations and on plays to try to confuse the Ravens, bud. (I wonder why LaMichael James was running near the goal line…quickness against a tired, old defense?) And, I wrote about the other things you mentioned on Monday.

I love give and take, especially with someone who claims they know football schemes and stuff. The snark and self-aggrandizing attitude you bring cracks me up. I look forward to you reading more and sharing your thoughts.
    TED