I’m on Twitter (@TedSillanpaa) and, thus, remain amazed at media types who feel that we’re interested in their view of the type man they believe 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh to be.  I could be an outlier among 49ers’ fans, but as long as the club’s winning, I know all I need to know about Harbaugh.

If they start losing, all I need to know is how he plans to get them winning again.

The folks who cover the club blew up Twitter over the last week offering a variety of 140-character psychological profiles of Harbaugh.

He’s a bully.

He plays games with the media.

He’s rude. Worse, he’s rude to members of the media.

The coach doesn’t care about Alex Smith’s feelings.

Harbaugh kicks his cat after losses.

Wait, I just assumed the latter would pop up on Twitter at some point as the Twitteratti detail their encounters with Harbaugh. (And, it well might pop up after the next loss.)

Jim Harbaugh’s a football coach. He came in with a staff of talented assistants and turned a horrendous 49ers’ team around immediately. The guy took Smith, who was judged a complete bust, and got within a break or two of reaching the Super Bowl in his first season with San Francisco. I’m supposed to care that he mocks some questioners and tap-dances around media coverage?

Unless Harbaugh’s going to be inviting me over for barbecue or to watch game tape, I don’t care what he’s like as a man dealing with people paid to ask him questions. I really don’t care, but I particularly don’t care what people paid to question him think about him based on how he responds to the questions.

Here’s a scoop … Harbaugh doesn’t like to answer questions.

Harbaugh’s a football coach. His football team wins games. You and I don’t care what the sports media psychologists think of the coach as a person. In fact, we don’t care much at all about how the media does its job, do we?

Comments

1. Korbe

Well said, and by a well paid sports media guy, too.

November 26th, 2012 7:47 pm

Korbe…Thanks for reading. Not so fast on the “well paid” part of my being in the sports media … there are levels of being “well paid” that I try not to think about. :)

November 26th, 2012 7:58 pm

3. Matt Witthaus

I care ;-) Rock on, Brother Ted.

November 27th, 2012 12:10 am

Matt…I think we all have a guess about what the alpha-male who was the star quarterback in high school and college, raised by a football coach dad in a competitive household is generallylike. Whether he enjoys give and take with a bunch of guys asking question after question is…not something I need to read or hear about. I’ve never been interested in how the media works and I work in the media … TED

November 27th, 2012 12:39 pm

5. David

If only you could get the Cohn’s to heed your advice!

November 27th, 2012 1:50 pm

David…Thanks for reading. I appreciate it. Stay in touch. Ted

November 27th, 2012 6:27 pm

7. Alec

Thank goodness someone takes on Cohn, the laziest person ever to write about sports. I hope he is axed by the PD as soon as possible.

November 27th, 2012 9:52 pm

Alec…Thanks for reading. I appreciate it. Agree or disagree with him, Lowell Cohn brings an intelligence to the modern sports media that is sadly missing in most cases. And, something readers might miss, his ability to ask great, thoughtful questions is a talent lost today. You won’t hear Lowell approach Jim Harbaugh with, “Talk about the game…” We can disagree. I tend to appreciate what Lowell brings to the business. Stay in touch, Alec. TED

November 28th, 2012 1:29 pm